A to Z Campus Map Directory
Athens State Logo
Current Students Faculty & Staff Tuition & Payments News Events Giving Human Resources Bookstore
Untitled Document
 

Beaty-Mason House

Brown Hall

Bullington House (President’s Home)

Carter Physical Education Center

Chasteen Hall

Classroom Building

Founders Hall

Freehauf House

Library

Maintenance Building

McCain Hall

McCandless Hall

Patton House

Sanders Hall

Sandridge Student Center

Security Office

Smith House

Waters Hall

About Us > Campus Map & Directions
Campus Buildings
Beaty-Mason House     view photo | view 1882 photo
Built in 1826 by the founder of Athens, Robert Beaty, the Beaty-Mason House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house, a few blocks south of the main campus, served as the home for four generations of the Beaty-Mason family before being purchased and renovated by the University in 1958 to serve as the President’s residence. It is currently undergoing extensive renovations.

Back to top

Brown Hall     view photo | view 1909 photo


Completed in 1912, Brown Hall currently houses offices for the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Associate and Assistant Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs, and Institutional Research. Brown Hall is named for Florence Brown, a teacher who cared for those affected by a 1909 campus typhoid epidemic. Miss Brown lost her life as a result of her efforts, and her parents donated funds in her memory for the building of Brown Hall as a new women’s dormitory. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Back to top

Bullington House (President’s Home)     view photo


Currently serving as the President’s Home, the Bullington House was built in 1910 on the corner of Bryan and Beaty Streets on what was originally a portion of the estate of the McConnell family. The house, an example of the Free Classic architectural style, was purchased by the University in 2006 and was originally used for administrative offices before becoming the President’s Home in 2010.

Back to top

Carter Physical Education Center     view photo


Built in 1965 and originally serving as the hub for the University’s athletic programs (which were discontinued in 2004), the Center is named for former Alabama State Representative Tommy Carter and his wife JoAnn in recognition of their support to the institution. The Center houses classrooms, the Athletic Museum, and the Delmore Brothers Collection. In addition to its use for physical education activities, the Center gymnasium is used for graduation exercises and for a variety of meetings and community events.

Back to top

Chasteen Hall     


Chasteen Hall, just off the main campus on the corner of Clinton and Hobbs Streets, currently houses the offices for the Adult Degree Program and the Testing Center, as well as various classrooms and computer labs. The building is named for Dr. James R. Chasteen, President of Athens State (1981-1990), and his wife Melba. Originally owned by then Athens College, the building was sold and served as both a grocery store and a hardware store for many years before being repurchased by the University.

Back to top

Classroom Building     view photo


The Classroom Building, housing a student lounge, and interactive and multi-purpose classrooms, was completed in the fall of 1998. In 2013, the Building also became the home for the Office of Student Activities.

Back to top

Founders Hall     view photo | view 1923 photo | view 1902 photo | view 1898 photo


Founders Hall currently houses the Office of the President, offices for Financial Affairs, and faculty and staff offices for the College of Arts and Sciences. The iconic building of the University, Founders was built in 1842 by the Tennessee Conference of the Methodist Church on five acres of land donated by the Maclin/Hobbs family. This era of the institution represents the transition of the institution’s control to the Conference from the private female academy first established in 1822. A variety of additions completed over the years have tripled the dimensions of the original building. In addition to the various offices, Founders also houses a parlor and chapel, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Back to top

Freehauf House     


At 415 Hargrove Street on the northeast corner of the campus, the Freehauf House contains the offices for the Director of Physical Plant and the Coordinator for Physical Plant Support. Built in 1920, the Freehauf House was purchased by the University in 2005.

Back to top

Library     view photo


The Athens State University Library opened in 1996, with the majority of the funds for its construction coming from private donations. In addition to the Library collection and offices, the building houses the University Writing Center, a Learning Commons area, and the Dr. Elva Bell McLin Archives Room.

Back to top

Maintenance Building     


Completed in 1986, the Maintenance Building is located just off Hobbs Street on the east side of the campus. The building houses offices for physical plant staff, shipping and receiving areas, and equipment storage areas.

Back to top

McCain Hall     view photo | view 1962 photo


Currently home to offices for faculty and staff in the College of Education, McCain Hall was completed in 1962. McCain Hall underwent a complete renovation and was rededicated in 2011. Originally serving as a women’s dormitory, the building is named for Dr. Virgil B. McCain, President of the institution from 1959 until 1965.

Back to top

McCandless Hall     view photo | view 1915 photo


Housing the University Auditorium and serving as a facility for concerts, plays, and lectures for the campus and community, McCandless Hall was built in 1912 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Hall underwent a complete renovation in 2013 to both restore original features and add modern facilities to ensure equal access for patrons. The Auditorium features a tracker-action pipe organ dating back to 1892.

Back to top

Patton House     view photo


Currently on loan to the Athens-Limestone Children’s Advocacy Center, the Patton House at 413 Hargrove Street was purchased by the University in 2006.

Back to top

Sanders Hall     view photo | view 1945 photo


Currently home to offices for faculty and staff in the College of Business, Sanders Hall was built in 1921; a total renovation was completed in 2010. Originally a women’s dormitory, the Hall is named for Col. W. T. Sanders, who presided over the institution’s Board of Trustees from 1896 to 1921.

Back to top

Sandridge Student Center     view photo | view 1924 photo


Serving as the primary center for students and student support services, the Sandridge Student Center was built in 1967 on the foundation of the 1918 gymnasium and swimming pool. The Center was named for Dr. Sidney E. Sandridge, President of the institution (1970-1981), upon his retirement. In addition to a student lounge area, coffee shop, and cafeteria, the Student Center houses the Offices of Admissions, Student Records, Student Financial Aid, the Transfer Advising and Career Development Centers, Disability Services, and the University Bookstore.

Back to top

Security Office     view photo


Once known as the “Little White House”, this small cottage just south of Founders Hall now houses the offices of Campus Security. The structure has served many purposes through its history, including use as a Greek house and for faculty housing.

Back to top

Smith House     view photo


Located at 433 East Pryor Street, the Smith House is home to the offices for the Vice President of University Advancement, the Director of Development, and Alumni Affairs. The Smith House was purchased by the University in 2005.

Back to top

Waters Hall     view photo | view 1991 photo


Currently housing classrooms, science labs, and offices for College of Arts and Sciences faculty and staff, Waters Hall was completed in 1957; an expansion and total renovation was completed in 2010. The building is named in honor of Mr. N. H. Waters, who was President of the institution’s Board of Trustees in 1957, and a loyal supporter of the institution.

Back to top



Untitled Document

300 N. Beaty Street, Athens, AL 35611
Phone: (256) 233-8100

Stay Connected My.Athens.edu Athens State Online facebook Linked In
Google + you tube
Non-Discrimination Policy | Right to Know | Map/Directions | Contact Us
Web Privacy Statement | Copyright © 2014 Athens State University