The university needs gifts from alumni and friends to fully fund the annual budget each year. The Annual Fund sustains Athens State’s most important resource — its people. Programs prepare students for successful lives we cannot yet imagine for them. The Annual Fund collects gifts from alumni, friends, students, faculty, staff, corporations, and others. Athens State relies on state funding for a major part of its operating budget, and with a significant reduction in funding over the last three years, annual fund gifts have never been more important.
Unrestricted gifts to the Annual Fund allow the University to use the money where it is needed the most and support the general operating budget.
Yes! The Annual Scholarship Fund supports academic scholarships for many students. Gifts received from alumni, friends, businesses, faculty, and staff which are renewed annually are vital to the life of the University. Many of our alumni received scholarships in college and wish to give back by helping another student. The annual phonathon offers an opportunity for alumni to catch up on campus news and give to the Annual Scholarship Fund.
Yes! You are welcome to commemorate a person who made a difference for you. Making gifts in honor or memory of someone celebrates the Athens State community.
Giving recognition includes all gifts to Athens State given during the calendar year — to the Annual Fund, scholarship gifts, capital gifts, and endowment gifts. The levels can be found here.
Money from the Annual Fund is spent in full every year, and consistent support from donors helps maintain the University’s high standards of Excellence, while providing an affordable education for our students.
- Institutional scholarships and financial aid
- Social and cultural events
- Academic resources such as library and classroom technology
- Outstanding faculty and dedicated staff
- and many other annual operating expenses each year.
No. Funds for new buildings come from state appropriations, strategic reserves and private donations specifically for that purpose. The Annual Fund does support the annual maintenance of the campus.
Gifts credited for the tax year (December 31st) include:
- On-line gifts must be made prior to midnight CDT December 31st (for tax year)
- Credit card gifts taken over the phone made prior to 4:30pm CDT on December 31st (for tax year)
- Credit card gifts mailed in and received prior to December 31st (for tax year) for office processing
- Checks mailed in must be postmarked on or before December 31st (for tax year)