Welcome to the Athens State Library
Learning About the Library and Library Research
Welcome to Athens State University Library's library skills page. The links from this page will introduce you to the many resources available to you through the Library and its electronic services, and guide you through the research process. You can work through the entire research tutorial, or select the specific section you're interested in from the list below:
- Library Skills for Research: Tutorial
- Navigating the Library Web Page
- Resources for Business Research
- If You Have Problems or Questions ...
After completing the tutorial, you should:
- Understand the basic steps in the research process.
- Know how to use Athens State Library's Catalog to find books by topic, author, and title.
- Know how materials are arranged in the Library.
- Be familiar with the the Dewey Decimal Classification system.
- Identify available databases and know how to use some of them to locate articles.
- Be able to connect to the library's databases from a remote (off-campus) computer.
- Understand effective search strategies.
- Know how to evaluate books, articles, and Web sites.
- Be familiar with available style manuals and the information necessary to correctly cite your sources.
For additional information and help, call the Reference Desk at 256-233-8267.
Back to the Library
Athens State University - 300 North Beaty Street - Athens, Alabama 35611 - 1-800-522-0272
©2003 Athens State University. All rights reserved.