General University Requirements for Graduation
(For students admitted prior to Fall 2015 Semester)
Policy Number: II.14
Policy Level: Operating Policy
Originally Issued:April 18, 2013
(For students admitted prior to Fall 2015 semester)
I. Policy Statement and Purpose
In accordance with Athens State University’s educational mission, this policy establishes the minimum requirements that must be fulfilled by any student receiving a degree from Athens State University. These standards are based on comparable practices at other institutions of higher education, and also recognize the unique status of the University as an upper-division institution.
II. General University Requirements
Every student planning on completing a degree/major program at Athens State University must satisfy all University requirements and meet all financial obligations before a degree is awarded.
To be eligible to receive a degree, a student must:
- Complete 33 of the last 39 semester hours of study or 25 percent of the degree requirements, whichever is larger, at Athens State University.
- Apply no more than 64 semester hours of non-traditional/non-graded college credit toward the degree.
- Complete a minimum of 60 semester hours of upper level college/university credit (300-400 level).
- Complete a minimum of 15 semester hours of upper level (300-400 level) coursework in the major at Athens State University, not including courses taken by reciprocal or visiting arrangements. College or departmental regulations may require completion of more than 15 semester hours of coursework in the major at Athens State University. These degree-specific requirements are published in the appropriate degree/major section of the University catalog.
- Complete all of the general education and pre-professional courses (Areas I-V) required for the degree or major(s).
- Complete all course requirements for the degree or major(s), comprised of a minimum of 124 semester hours.
- Complete all course requirements for the minor (when applicable).
- Complete the requirements for teacher certification (when applicable).
- Attain an institutional grade point average of 2.0 on all coursework attempted at Athens State University, and at least a 2.0 in the major field. College or departmental regulations may require grade point averages higher than 2.0. These degree-specific requirements are published in the appropriate degree/major section of the University catalog.
III. Responsibility for this Operating Policy
As part of the initial approval of this policy by the President and subsequent to the original dissemination of the policy, the President has assigned the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs as the policy owner for the ongoing evaluation, review, and approval of this policy. Subsequent reviews and revisions to this policy must be in accordance with approved operating policy procedures and processes.
This policy will be reviewed every three years or more frequently as needed.
Responsibility for Policy Implementation
The President has assigned the responsibility of implementing this policy to the Registrar, under the direction of the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Support Services, and the Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management.