Job Description: College Dean
Supported by Administrative Council: November 14, 2012
Approved by Dr. Glenn: November 14, 2012
Revised: March 8, 2017
Revised: February 14, 2018
Revised: February 19, 2018
Revised: May 20, 2019
Job Description: College Dean
The College Dean provides academic leadership to the College and reports directly to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA). The College Dean is responsible for, but not limited to, academic planning, enhancement of programs, curriculum, teaching, scholarship and service, professional and regional accreditation, recruitment of faculty, faculty development and evaluation, student recruitment, advising, budget development, and allocation of resources.
Qualifications: (including but not limited to):
- Ten years of full-time teaching experience at a university with some graduate teaching experience
- Doctorate appropriate for the College
- Record of teaching, professional development/scholarly work, and service to warrant faculty rank of Professor
- Understanding of appropriate accreditation, preferably having national review experience
- Administrative experience in higher education
The College Dean shall:
- provide leadership, working with the faculty, to achieve the mission of the college in the areas of teaching, scholarship, and service.
- foster an institutional attitude and department/College climate that promotes a collegial environment and excellence including advising.
- represent and promote the College both internally and externally.
- implement academic policies established by the University and College.
- request a budget for the college and departments with appropriate justification; once budget is approved, monitor and allocate funds from the budget.
- provide leadership in the area of faculty development and professional growth.
- ensure orientation of all new faculty and adjunct faculty.
- recommend faculty for promotion and continuing contract during probationary periods to the Provost/VPAA.
- encourage faculty grant writing and acquisition of external funds in coordination with the Provost/VPAA.
- work with department chairs, recommend all part-time faculty to the Provost/VPAA and President.
- recommend all search and screen committee members to the Provost/VPAA.
- appoint Department Chairs with the concurrence of the Provost/VPAA.
- supervise the activities of the department chairs and advise and mentor new department chairs.
- ensure regular department and College meetings.
- ensure the completion of both the annual faculty performance evaluations and student assessments of faculty/course.
- review and approve all College curricular requests and coordinate instruction, ensuring programs meet state and accreditation standards.
- assist in the establishment of and support for the orderly and regular review of programs and curriculum.
- maintain open, positive channels of communication with all college and University stakeholders.
- collaborate with the curriculum committee, in coordination with the Provost/VPAA, to develop and approve course offerings ensuring that the needs students are met.
- assist in catalog review of College sections.
- foster the recruitment and retention of qualified students and provide leadership to students in academic endeavors and co-curricular activities.
- ensure all students are advised and have a program of study.
- respond to student academic concerns and seek resolution at the faculty level, ensuring that accurate records of these issues are kept in the Dean’s office.
- ensure completion of assessment for all curricular majors.
- commit to and support the development of diversity on the campus.
- participate in the establishment of the vision, long-term and short-term planning documents and decision-making and assist with strategic planning for both the College and University.
- demonstrate high participation in all levels of the assessment process. Monitor and distribute assessment data appropriately and use results in annual planning process.
- ensure compliance with regional, (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges) and college or program-level (ABET, ACBSP, CAEP) accreditation standards as well as appropriate state regulations, where applicable.
- perform other duties as assigned by the Provost/VPAA and the President.