Job Description: Vice President for Financial Affairs
Original Issue Supported by Administrative Council: December 12, 2012
Original Issue Approved President Glenn: December 12, 2012
Revision supported by Administrative Council: February 26, 2014
Revision approved by President Glenn: February 26, 2014
Reviewed: March 8, 2017
Reviewed: May 20, 2019
Job Description: Vice President For Financial Affairs
The Vice President for Financial Affairs is the Chief Financial Officer of the University and reports to the President of the University. The Vice President for Financial Affairs is responsible for providing executive level direction and management oversight for financial planning, budgeting and budget analysis, accounting and business operations, finance controls and reporting, investment oversight, campus maintenance and development, risk management and insurance, space planning and construction, human resources management, facilities and grounds operations, purchasing and contracts, and auxiliary enterprises.
The Vice President for Financial Affairs shall:
- Serve as treasurer/custodian of funds for the University.
- Be responsible for the financial analysis, planning and management of the university’s resources in order to facilitate and support its mission and strategic plan.
- Coordinate efforts with directors and managers who are responsible for the daily operations of finance, human resources, safety and security, and building and facilities.
- Serve as the financial advisor to the President and executive staff.
- Lead the budget process and the development of the annual operating and capital budgets of the University.
- Be responsible for oversight of Human Resources, payroll and benefits.
- Assist the President and other administrators in gathering, collating, and analyzing data relative to the financial operations of the University.
- Be responsible for the accurate and timely reporting of financial information to the Board, the President, and outside agencies, groups and third parties.
- Coordinate and oversee the contracts and services of the campus auxiliary enterprises including oversight and management of bookstore and food service operations contracts.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with other colleges and universities, professional organizations, state and federal agencies, civic organizations and relevant groups.
- Oversee the fiscal management of contracts and grants.
- Be responsible for development, management and oversight of the University’s investment plan to ensure that the funds are invested in accordance with state law and to achieve the greatest return with proper risk assessment.
- Work with the President and the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs to plan and coordinate the use of University facilities and to work with other University personnel in the development and maintenance of a campus facilities master plan.
- Coordinate capital projects with the Director of Physical Plant to ensure that contracts are issued in accordance with state and federal guidelines and that the purchase of materials and services are done in accordance with state bid law requirements.
- Be responsible for the purchase and acquisition of University property, construction projects and renovation projects.
- Serve on the President’s Cabinet, Administrative Council and other committees as needed.
- Be responsible for risk assessment in the areas of finance, facilities and human resources and for securing adequate insurance for the University.
- Perform other duties as delegated by the President.