Policy Number: IV.02
Policy Level: Operating Policy
Originally Issued: March 13, 2013
Reviewed: May 26, 2016
Revised: June 17, 2019
I. Policy Statement and Purpose
Athens State University recognizes the important contributions that have been made by those staff members who rendered many years of dedicated service before retirement. This policy provides procedures for the nomination of the appointment of emeritus status for staff members at the University. It is intended to honor staff members who have made noteworthy contributions throughout their career at Athens State. Emeritus status is a privilege and is not a right of any retired staff member.
This policy applies only to staff members, who are defined as any non-faculty member employees. This policy does not apply to faculty members or part-time employees.
In order to be considered for staff emeritus status, a nominee must:
- Have been an active full-time employee for a minimum of ten (10) years at Athens State University.
- Have retired in good standing.
- Have made extraordinary and meritorious contributions to the fulfillment of the mission and programs of the University.
The nomination for appointment to staff emeritus status is to be initiated by any individual employee or by a recognized campus group or committee. The nominated employee’s Supervisor, Department Head, and/or Vice President are responsible for reviewing a possible nomination with Human Resources staff members to verify eligibility.
The application must be approved by the nominated employee’s Supervisor, Department Head, and/or Vice President, and is then forwarded to the President for final approval.
IV. Recognition and Privileges
Staff employees who are granted Staff Emeritus status shall have campus privileges that include:
- Recognition as Staff Emeritus at the next opportunity that the University Faculty and Staff convene (ex. Retirement Reception, Graduation, Fall Convocation).
- Staff privileges for campus activities and for using campus facilities.
- Mailing notices of staff functions and social gatherings.
- Staff library privileges.
- Athens State photo identification card indicating Emeritus status.
- Mailing of appropriate Athens State publications.
- Honored in appropriate University publications and listed on the Athens State University website, as appropriate.
- Athens State Parking Decal.
- Bookstore Discounts.
- Printing Discounts.
V. Responsibility for this Operating Policy
As part of the initial approval of this policy by the President and subsequent to the original dissemination of the policy, the President remains the policy owner for the ongoing evaluation, review, and approval of this policy. Subsequent reviews and revisions to this policy must be in accordance with approved operating policy procedures and processes.
This policy will be reviewed every three years or more frequently as needed.
Responsibility for Policy Implementation
The President has assigned the responsibility of implementing this policy to the Director of Human Resources, under the direction of the President and the Vice President for Financial Affairs.