The Adult Degree Program at Athens State University offers degree plans that allow students to incorporate prior learning into their plan of study. A variety of resources are used to assess prior learning.
The resources include:
- The American Council on Education (ACE)
ACE provides reliable course equivalencies for learning obtained outside of the traditional classroom. Information can be found here.
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) & Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DSST)
CLEP & DSST exams assess college-level knowledge. College credit can be awarded if students achieve the minimum score that ACE recommends.
- Joint Services Transcript (JST)
JST transcripts provide a description of military training received in the Army, Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard and recommendations for awarding college credit based on the training.
- Certificates, Licenses, and Training
Athens State recognizes that you may have earned academic credit outside of the classroom. Some of the certificates and licenses we have awarded academic credit for are listed below:
- Alabama Real Estate License = 3 semester hours of upper-level credit (FIN 356)
- SHRM Certificates (SCP/SPHR) Society of Human Resource Management’s Certified Professional in Human Resources or Senior Professional in Human Resources SHRM and Human Resource Certification Institute’s Professional in Human Resource Management or Senior Professional in Human Resource Management = 9 semester hours of upper-level credit (MG 349, MG 410, MG 449)
- State of Alabama Insurance License Exam = 3 semester hours of upper-level credit (FIN 355)
- Microsoft Office Certifications MOS = Up to 12 semester hours of lower-level credit
- CompTIA A+ Certification = 2 semester hours of lower-level credit
- Lean Six Sigma = 3 semester hours of upper-level credit
- Certified Project Management Boot Camp (Certified Project Management Program) = 3 semester hours of upper-level credit
- Peace Officer Training = Up to 27 semester hours of lower-level credit
- Huntsville Hospital Radiography Certification = 21 hours lower-level credit