Athens State Earns Tree Campus USA Recognition[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]Athens State University has received the honor of being recognized by Tree Campus USA for the year 2016 by promoting healthy trees and engaging students and staff in forestry conservation efforts.
Tree Campus USA is a national program founded by the Arbor Day Foundation that honors college and university campuses that effectively manage the trees on their campus, connect with the community to promote healthy urban forests, and have a student body that is actively involved in service learning activities.
To earn this recognition, Athens State University met the organization’s five core standards for effective campus forest management:
- A Campus Tree Advisory Committee comprised of students, faculty, facility management, and members of the local community was created.
- A Campus Tree Care Plan that provided direction for planting, maintaining, and removing campus trees as well as educate the community about the importance of the campus forest and the protection and maintenance of trees was developed.
- Annual expenditures were dedicated to the Campus Tree Program.
- An Arbor Day Observance event was held.
- Service Learning Projects related to trees and forestry were performed.
Athens State University has shown its commitment to protecting and preserving its valuable tree resources and has created a campus environment that contributes not only to the health and well-being of its students, but the planet as well.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]