You should know where the “safer” areas are located in any building that you are in.Things to remember about finding a “safer area”:
- Try and get to the lowest level of any structure in which you are located.
- Stay away from areas where windows and glass are present.
- Put as many walls as you can between yourself and the outside.
Times of inclement weather or other emergencies may force the University to delay or cancel classes. Every effort is made to make this decision in a reasonable timeframe that will permit students to be notified prior to traveling to campus. Typically, a decision is made by 6 a.m. in the morning or by 3 p.m. for evening classes.
IMPORTANT: If you attend Athens State University classes at one of our University Centers you should check to see if the host campus is open. If the host campus closes, no Athens State classes will be conducted. Students attending classes on Redstone Arsenal will always follow the schedule for the Athens State main campus.
How will I be notified if Athens State is closed or delayed?
First: Notice will be sent out via the Emergency Notification System (Athens Alerts)
Second: The closing or delay will be posted on the University’s website and social media.
Third: Information will be sent to the following television and radio stations:
- Television – Channels 48, 19, and 31
- Radio – FM – WZYP (104.3), WAHR (99), WDRM (102.1), WEUP (102.9), WRSA (96.9)
- Radio – AM – WVNN (770), WKAC (1080), WBHP (1230)