Students majoring in any discipline, and especially those majoring in mathematics, computer science, or information technology are encouraged to participate in the Math and Computer Science (MACS) Club.
Some events that club members assist with are:
- Tennessee Valley Fiddler’s Convention, and raise money towards building an endowed scholarship.
- Participate in community events, such as
o Athens – Every Needy Child Care Bag Project (Courier article Feb. 15, 2018)
o Sponsor children from Angel Trees at Christmas time
o Limestone RSVP-Elderly
o Athens one block Mardi Gras canned food parade
- Raise funds to contribute to worthwhile causes
- Raise awareness of the importance of mathematics and technology
- Host resume and career prep workshops with assistance from the Career Development Center
- Host invited industry members to speak with students
Some students participate in:
- The Mathematical Association of America or the Alabama Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges.
- Faculty led student research projects with the possibility for publication and conference presentation/attendance
- Team to compete as part of MIT’s Battlecode NASA Space Apps Challenge
The club meets once a month on campus to discuss “official business”, and have an off campus social once a month so members have the opportunity to get to know each other more outside of the educational environment.
Club Advisor: Prof. Katia Maxwell
Club Advisor: Dr. Derek Newland
President: Danny Nguyen
Vice-President: Nathan Roberts
Secretary: Ryan Long