Why Choose the Educational Studies Program?
A degree in Educational Studies prepares students for careers in educational settings that are outside of the traditional classroom. This degree provides students with foundational knowledge and fundamental pedagogical skills that will prepare them for work in alternative educational environments as well as in businesses and other organizations throughout the state such as non-profits, community and recreational and human resource programs. Among those alternative educational environments is the increasing demand for organization-specific training programs resulting in a growing need for education professionals. Additionally, students who complete this program will be prepared to meet the needs of charter schools which are forthcoming as a result of the 2015 School Choice and Student Opportunity Act that made Alabama the 43rd state to allow charter schools.
Educational Studies Program Outcomes
Program graduates will demonstrate the ability to:
- Use knowledge of subject matter, teaching/training and learning and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity and innovation.
- Exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society.
- Understand local and global societal issues and responsibilities in an evolving digital culture and exhibit legal and ethical behavior in their professional practices.
- Continuously improve professional practice and model lifelong learning.
- Serve learners, colleagues, industries, and communities as facilitators and trainers.
- Address the diverse needs of all learners by using learner-centered strategies providing equitable access to appropriate tools and resources.
- Demonstrate effective writing, communication and presentation skills.
Program Concentrations Areas Include:
- Career and Technical Education
- Collaborative Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Educational Technology
- Elementary Education
- English Language Learners
- Instructional Design
- Physical Education
Does this program lead to Teacher Certification?
No, this program does not lead to teacher certification. Students completing this program are not admitted into the Teacher Education Program, nor are they required to meet Alabama State Department of Education certification requirements.
This program can be completed fully online by choosing certain courses.