Sentinel (Random) Testing
Random testing will help identify those who have COVID-19 and reduce the spread among our campus community.
In accordance with the GuideSafe™ program, Athens State will arrange for voluntary random testing of groups of students, faculty, and staff who have returned to campus and who may not exhibit symptoms but may be carriers (asymptomatic). This sentinel testing process will randomly test a percentage of our campus population on a weekly basis, which will provide a snapshot of how many COVID-19 cases are circulating among our population.
Testing is voluntary. But, we hope that you will help us in the fight against this virus so that we can continue to put measures in place to keep you safe.
What is the process for Sentinel Testing?
- Each week, 2.5% to 5% of those on campus will be randomly selected for COVID-19 testing.
- You will receive a specific time to visit a testing site, should you choose to participate.
- Once you arrive, present your email to confirm the need for testing.
- The test consists of a self-administered nasal swab just inside the nostril.
- Those being tested will be contacted with 36 hours with results.
- If you test negative for COVID-19, you will receive results via email within 36 hours of testing.
- If you test positive for COVID-19, you will receive notification, along with next steps on how to protect yourself and others around you.
- If you have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 12 weeks, please opt-out of sentinel testing.
- If you have not received a positive diagnosis, we ask that you participate in Athens State's sentinel testing.
Faculty, staff, and students who are taking on-campus classes should create an account in the Verily testing system using their Athens State email address.
After answering a few basic questions and verifying your email, your account will be created; you are all done for now.
Randomly-selected individuals will receive an email from Verily (firstname.lastname@example.org) directing you to sign-up for a testing appointment on campus during the next seven days. Please check your Athens State email regularly to see if you have been selected as part of the randomized testing. If you are randomly selected, you will be prompted in the email to log-in to your Verily account and request a test.