What is required other than coursework in my major curriculum?
Every student planning on completing a degree/major program at Athens State University must satisfy all general University requirements and meet all financial obligations before a degree is awarded.
- To be eligible to receive a degree, a student must:Complete a minimum of 124 semester hours with at least 25 percent of the degree requirements earned at Athens State University.
- Attain a minimum institutional grade point average of 2.0 on all coursework attempted at Athens State University, and at least a 2.0 in the major field. College or departmental regulations may require grade point averages higher than 2.0. These degree-specific requirements are published in the appropriate degree/major section of the University catalog.
- Complete a minimum of 60 semester hours from an accredited baccalaureate degree granting institution; at least 51 semester hours of credit must be at the 300-400 level.
- Complete all of the general education and pre-professional courses (Areas I-V) required for the degree or major(s).
- Apply no more than 64 semester hours of non-traditional/non-graded college credit toward the degree.
- Complete all course requirements for the degree or major(s).
- Complete a minimum of 15 semester hours of upper level (300-400 level) coursework in the major at Athens State University, not including courses taken by reciprocal or visiting arrangements. College or departmental regulations may require completion of more than 15 semester hours of coursework in the major at Athens State University. These degree-specific requirements are published in the appropriate degree/major section of the University catalog.
- Complete all course requirements for the minor (when applicable).
- Complete the requirements for teacher certification (when applicable).