Are you interested in pursuing an exciting career in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) field? Through our Athens State Scholars in STEM (ASSIST) program, you could receive scholarships for tuition, books, housing, and transportation!
The ASSIST program will also provide various methods of support and resources to help you succeed throughout your program.
- Accessible tutoring services
- Assistance accessing critical technology, such as laptops
- Support for project-based learning, including research and conference travel funds
- Faculty and community mentorship
- Peer-to-peer support through a Scholar’s Learning Community led by a STEM faculty member
- Interdisciplinary STEM Seminar Series
- Apply and be accepted to Athens State University
- Enroll in a STEM Major (Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Information Technology, or Mathematics). Planning to teach? STEM majors with a minor in Secondary Education are applicable!
- Attend Athens State at least half-time (6 credit hours or more per semester).
- Submit a 500-word essay.
- Provide two letters of recommendation from academic or work personnel (One letter must be submitted by a teacher or professor; these must be submitted directly by the reference to Shannon.Pittman@athens.edu)
- Demonstrate Financial Need (You must complete the 2021-22 FAFSA)
- Minimum 2.7 GPA for previously-earned college credit.
Must be working on your first bachelor’s degree.
If a student’s major changes to a non-STEM major, the scholarship could be revoked.