Attention: Biology, Chemistry, and Math Majors
Have you considered using your STEM degree to teach?
- Athens State TEACH program provides a path to obtaining secondary (grades 6-12) teacher certification while earning your STEM bachelor’s degree.
- The innovative program allows you to explore science or math teaching in local schools early in your STEM program.
- Courses within the teaching minor provide what is needed to become certified to teach.
Benefits of Athens State TEACH:
- Recruitment and retention scholarships
- Intensive field experiences
- Learning hands-on teaching strategies
- Personal guidance from Master Teachers
- Being part of a like-minded community
- Developing transferable skills
- More career options
- Opportunities to impact your community
Students Who Complete the Program will Graduate with their STEM Degrees
as well as a Teaching Certificate that Provides:
- Access to well-paying, high-demand secondary STEM teaching jobs across Alabama.
- The ability to teach while maintaining career options in your chosen STEM field.
- Access to Student Loan Repayment options available to Alabama teachers.
- The option to gain a long-term teaching career that provides good pay and benefits.
Alabama STEM teacher salaries are now competitive with other industries! Earn more income compared to other subject matter teachers.
The Courses You’ll Take:
- Steps 1 & 2: Inquiry-Based Teaching and Lesson Design
- Knowing and Learning in Math & Science
- Classroom Interactions
- Problem-Based Instruction
- Perspectives on Science and Math
- Functions and Modeling OR Research Methods
- Apprentice Teaching
Athens State TEACH offers automatic financial support:
$250 Grant for Steps 1&2 course
$1600 Tuition Scholarship per year
$2500 Apprentice Teaching Scholarship
AND You are still eligible for other STEM scholarships!