Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have received a number of calls and emails concerning the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention and related Concert Series. These are truly unprecedented times that have created a lot of uncertainty. For that reason, we have developed a timeline for making a decision regarding the convention so everyone has a better understanding of our thought process.
No decision has been made at this time to either cancel or postpone the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention scheduled for October 1 – 3, 2020.
Currently, the State of Alabama is under a “Safer at Home Order” that was last updated by Governor Kay Ivey on May 21, 2020. Under this order, the maximum number of attendees for outdoor entertainment venues is not restricted, but it does allow the local fire marshal to ensure that social distancing does take place, which would limit attendance. The order is scheduled to expire at 5:00 pm on July 3, 2020. Once Governor Ivey issues additional guidance beyond July 3, 2020, the Fiddlers Steering Committee will meet to discuss potential options for the convention.
The pandemic has also caused us to make some changes to the schedule for this year’s Fiddlers Concert Series. We appreciate everyone’s support for the series, and we are happy to answer any questions you might have. Below are the changes that have been made to-date:
Continuing as Scheduled
- Kenny and Amanda Smith will play in McCandless Hall on Thursday, September 24, 2020, at 7:00 pm.
- The July 7, 2020 concert featuring Jake Workman, Amanda Workman, and Jeff Picker has been canceled at the request of the artist. The entertainment committee is working on rescheduling this show for a time in 2021.
- The September 29, 2020 concert featuring Larry Sparks and the Lonesome Ramblers has been canceled at the request of the artist.
- Darin & Brooke Aldridge have agreed to perform on Tuesday, September 29, 2020, at 7:00 pm.
- The entertainment committee is working on scheduling another show for late November or early December to replace the July 7, 2020 concert.
We would like to assure everyone that any decision made regarding the convention or concert series will be done with the safety and well-being of our guests and staff being our top priority. If you have questions or would like to request a refund for a concert series performance or season pass, please the Office of University Advancement at 256-233-8215. We will provide additional information after July 3, with updates posted on our website at TVOTFC.org and on our Facebook page at facebook.com/TNValleyFiddlersConvention.