We believe there is nobility in choosing to complete your education, particularly when you’re managing the pressures and constraints of adult life.
As an Upper Division University, Athens State celebrates the resolve of the adult learner. After all, it takes courage, and then some, to balance finishing your degree with work and family life.
That’s why we offer the Adult Degree Program, designed to assist working adults with finishing their degrees by applying their experience and knowledge as college credit.
What is the Adult Degree Program?
You’ve worked hard, and we recognize that some of your knowledge and experience may be at the college level. The Adult Degree Program (ADP) at Athens State University provides a nationally-recognized method of allowing college credit for learning that may have been attained outside the classroom through work, seminars, training programs, military education, and certification programs. A Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is conducted to provide a better understanding of how this prior learning and experience is equivalent to the skills and objectives of academic courses.
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
Prior Learning Assessment is a process that evaluates knowledge and learning gained outside the classroom. It includes employment, certifications, military training/service, civic activities, and volunteer service. Students are guided through this process during their first semester in the ADP 301 Adult Degree Practice & Theory course.
Why choose the Adult Degree Program?
If you have the knowledge, the Adult Degree Program can provide an efficient, cost-effective, and customized path to earn your degree.
Time & Money
All degrees are accredited and affordable, with the lowest tuition rates in the state. Athens State University is simply the smart way to go college.
Your experience is unique, and the Adult Degree Program will be customized through individual counseling to fit your schedule and your goals.
Certificates, Licenses, and Training
We want to help you reach the finish line as quickly as possible, which means putting your existing knowledge and prior training to work for you. Some of the certificates and licenses we have awarded academic credit for are listed below.
- Alabama Real Estate License = 3 semester hours of upper-level credit (FIN 356)
- SHRM Certificates (SCP/SPHR): Society of Human Resource Management’s Certified Professional in Human Resources or Senior Professional in Human Resources SHRM and Human Resource Certification Institute’s Professional in Human Resource Management or Senior Professional in Human Resource Management = 9 semester hours of upper-level credit (MG 349, MG 410, MG 449)
- State of Alabama Insurance License Exam = 3 semester hours of upper-level credit (FIN 355)
- Microsoft Office Certifications MOS = Up to 12 semester hours of lower-level credit
- CompTIA A+ Certification = 2 semester hours of lower-level credit
- Lean Six Sigma = Up to 9 semester hours of upper-level credit (MG 421, MG 422, MG 423)
- Certified Project Management Boot Camp (Certified Project Management Program) = 3 semester hours of upper-level credit
- Peace Officer Training = Up to 27 semester hours of lower-level credit
- Huntsville Hospital Radiography Certification = 21 hours lower-level credit
How can we help put your knowledge and training to work for you?
We often work with students in a variety of majors and disciplines find ways to satisfy elective credit by using prior learning and certifications. Contact us to see if the Adult Degree Program can benefit you in finishing your degree!
How do I get started?
We understand that returning to school can be intimidating and confusing, so we’re here to help you every step of the way. Get started today by completing our contact form. We’ll be in touch as soon as possible to discuss how the Adult Degree Program can help you earn your degree.
Felicia MucciDirector of Adult Degree Completion Program
- Phone:256-233-8281 Phone:256-233-8281
- Department:Adult Degree Program
Kayla Kohanek-TankersleyAdult Degree Program Advisor
- Phone:256-233-8280 Phone:256-233-8280
- Department:Adult Degree Program