It is strongly recommended that students review their Degree Works plan(s) and consult with their academic advisor before applying for graduation or certificate completion.
Please note: if you have officially declared and are pursuing both a degree program and a certificate concurrently, you will have two separate plans in Degree Works. Use the pull-down arrow in the Degree box to select the plan you wish to review.
If you have any questions about applying for graduation or completion, please contact the Office of the Registrar – Student Records at ude.s1568820647nehta1568820647@rart1568820647siger1568820647 or at (256) 233-8131.
Each student must submit an application for graduation or certificate completion through their Athens State Online account. Students applying for graduation from a degree program will be charged a $50.00 graduation fee; there is no fee for students applying for certificate completion only. The first day a student can apply for graduation/completion in a given semester is the first day of classes for that semester; the deadline to apply for graduation/completion in a given semester is approximately two weeks before the end of final exams for the semester. These dates are published in the Important Dates listing for each semester.
Directions for Submitting an Application
Please note: if you are applying for graduation from a degree program AND certificate completion in the same semester, you will have to complete two applications, one for the degree and one for the certificate.
- Log in to Athens State Online
- Select the Student tab
- Select View Student Records
- Select Graduation Application
- Select the semester you are applying for (Ex: Fall 2019), then click Submit
Note: Click Continue or Submit button when prompted to navigate through the rest of the online application.
- On the Curriculum Selection page, click on the radio button to verify and select the curriculum: degree, major, minor(if applicable) or certificate program, for which you are applying.
If you believe the curricula displayed are incorrect, stop the application process. You may need to submit a Change of Program request to officially declare the correct degree program or certificate. Please contact the Office of the Registrar- Student Records for assistance (ude.s1568820647nehta1568820647@rart1568820647siger1568820647).
- In the Graduation Date Field, click down to select your official graduation date that will be used on your transcript and diploma (if applying for graduation in a degree program).
- If you are applying for graduation in degree program: on the Graduation Ceremony selection page, mark the appropriate response that indicates your plans to attend the graduation ceremony.
- If you are applying for graduation in degree program: on next two pages, specify how you want your name to appear on your diploma and where to mail your diploma.
- If you are applying for graduation in degree program: For the payment method, click the drop-down arrow and the field will populate “Graduation Fee $50.00 Bill Student’s Account”. Your student account will be charged a $50.00 graduation fee.
- Click Continue to view the Graduation Application Summary. After verifying information is correct, click the “Submit Request” button to complete the application process.
Graduating Senior Exit Survey (Undergraduate Students)
Undergraduate students are encouraged to complete the Graduating Senior Exit Survey before the end of the semester. The survey should only take 15 minutes of your time. Complete Survey.
Graduate Programs Exit Survey
Graduate students are encouraged to complete the Graduate Programs Exit Survey before the end of the semester. The survey should only take 15 minutes of your time. Complete the Graduate Programs Exit Survey.
All official transcripts documenting any transfer credit needed for degree completion must be received in the Office of the Registrar – Student Records no later than 5 business days prior to the last day of the term. If all official transcripts are not received by this deadline, the official award of the degree will be delayed until all official transcripts documenting the credit needed are received and evaluated.