Nursing transfer students have a lot to balance between academic coursework and gaining clinical experience, all while trying to graduate on time. Fortunately, Athens State University specializes in helping students maximize their transfer credits to hit their academic and career goals.
From a dedicated team of academic advisors and success coaches to personalized degree plans and academic support services, here are some of the ways we help you get the most for your transfer credits:
1. We accept a wide range of transfer credits.
If you’ve already completed some schooling that counts towards your degree at an accredited institution, there’s a good chance those credits will transfer over to Athens State. However, specific transfer credits will depend on where you gained them and the course content of those credits.
In most circumstances, nursing students can transfer credits in:
- General Ed Courses: Athens State accepts transfer credits for general courses like English composition, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics.
- Nursing Prerequisites: For nursing transfer students, we also accept transfer credits in nursing prerequisites that were completed at other accredited institutions, such as anatomy and physiology, microbiology, nutrition, and statistics.
- Some Nursing Courses: Other nursing courses that can transfer may include courses like pharmacology, nursing leadership and management, and nursing research.
These courses are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, taking into account:
- The content of the courses
- The level of the courses
- Accreditation of the institution the course was completed
Athens State University also accepts credits from national programs, like CLEP and DSST, which allow students to demonstrate their ability in certain subjects and earn college credit without having to take a traditional course. These are great options for nursing transfer students who have already gained experience or knowledge in subject areas that count towards their degree.
2. We follow a comprehensive credit evaluation process.
Our goal is to make the transfer credits process as simple and transparent as possible. As a nursing transfer student, you can submit official transcripts from all of your previously attended institutions for evaluation by your dedicated success coach.
Your success coach will review your transcripts and determine which credits can be transferred and applied towards your degree requirements. Once the evaluation is complete, you’ll receive a report outlining which transfer credits have been accepted and how they’ll be applied toward your degree requirements.
3. We’ll create a personalized degree plan for you.
After the transfer credits evaluation process, you can work closely with your success coach to create a personalized degree plan for you. The plan takes into account your accepted transfer credits, prior coursework, and your career goals, then outlines which courses you need to take at Athens State University to complete your degree requirements.
The degree plan is designed to be flexible and adaptable to each student’s unique needs and situations.This way, you can stay on track for graduating on a timeline that works for you.
4. We offer a variety of academic resources and support services.
To help maximize your credits, Athens State University provides multiple services, programs, and tools to help you get the most out of your transfer credits and your time here. Some of our key resources include:
- Credit for Prior Learning: We offer several opportunities for nursing transfer students to earn college credit for prior learning experiences; not just for the ones we listed above, but also for things like military experience, professional certifications, and work experience.
- Career Development Center: Our career service office provides you with resources and support to help prepare you for your future career, including resume building, interview preparation, and job search assistance.
- Student Organizations: There are several student organizations that provide networking opportunities, leadership development, and community service opportunities for nursing transfer students like you.
- Clinical Experience: Our partnerships with local healthcare facilities allow opportunities for nursing students to gain clinical experience, which can accelerate your progress and learning.
By taking advantage of these resources, services, and programs, you can maximize your transfer credits and get on the fast-track to graduation.
At Athens State, we’ve worked to make the transfer credits process as easy as possible to help you graduate sooner. With a robust transfer credits evaluation process, personalized degree plans, and a variety of support services, you can be confident that you’ll be fully equipped to achieve your goals.
Ready to discover how else Athens State University can help you make the most of your transfer journey? Dive deeper into our transfer process.