Get Started at Athens

How to Apply

All prospective students must complete the appropriate application for admission to Athens State University. Transfer applicants must provide official transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Once acceptance to the University is granted, contact the Office of Veterans Affairs to apply for benefits. The chapter under which you are filing will determine the documentation required by the VA to certify your benefits.

If you have previously received benefits at another institution, you must submit a “Change of Training Place Form to VA” Click here to transfer your benefits to Athens State University: Please add this link after completing this form the VA will send you a new Certificate of Eligibility letter that you will need to send to

Approved Programs

An excellent way for veterans to use their educational benefits is pursuing a VA approved course of study at an institution of higher learning. All programs of study must be approved by the State Approving Agency in order to be certified by the VA for payment of benefits. All degree programs at Athens State University are currently approved by the State Approving Agency.

Course Loads

A full-time course load for a student receiving veteran’s benefits is twelve hours or more; a three-quarter time course load is nine hours, a one-half time course load is six hours. Full-time for graduate students is nine hours. Benefits are paid based on the dates of the semester. A veteran’s monthly check for educational benefits could change if an accelerated course (weekend, one week, one month, etc.) is taken. See the Veterans Affairs Office on campus for additional information.

New Students are required to submit a Certificate of Eligibility Letter and these Veterans Affairs forms to begin receiving federal VA benefits.

You must request benefits each semester after you have registered for classes. If there are any changes to your schedule or academic record after submitting this form you must submit an updated form. 

If a veteran fails a required course, he/she may repeat that course with pay. However, he/she cannot repeat a course just to improve a grade and receive payment through the Veterans Administration.

Academic Progress

Veterans must attend classes regularly and continue to show satisfactory progress. Benefit payments will not be made for courses from which you withdraw unless mitigating circumstances exist.

You Military Credit

All military students using federal VA benefits are required to provide a copy of their official military credit for review. Please request for an official copy of your military credit to be sent to Athens State University.

Other Resources

Veterans’ Guide to Getting HiredHow to Transfer CreditsVeteran Aid
Free Tutoring for Service Members and Families
Guide for Veterans & Active Service Members
Guide to Financial Aid and Scholarships for Veterans