Student Employment

Students interested in applying for a work-study position must have an active account on Handshake.  All student positions are posted on Handshake. Apply to Handshake at this link: For questions, email

Students must establish eligibility for participation in the Federal Work-Study Program by applying via the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year. For more information contact the Student Financial Aid Office at

Students may work no more than 19 hours per week. Positions vary between departments and offices but can involve clerical work, customer service, technical support, general labor, or tutoring. Students must be currently enrolled at the university in at least six (6) credit hours each semester (excluding summer and graduating terms) and must maintain a cumulative 2.00 GPA and remain in Good Standing with Financial Aid and Academics to be eligible for student work-study positions.

Salary is $15.00 per hour for work-study and tutors.

Athens State University’s Non-Discrimination Policy (PDF)

Student Work Manual (PDF)

Drug Abuse Prevention Program (PDF)

Student Work-Study Payroll Forms

Congratulations on securing on-campus employment. All newly hired students must complete payroll paperwork before their first day of work.  No student may begin working until all payroll forms are signed and returned to the Career Development Office or Human Resources.

The student must supply the Human Resources Office or the Career Development Office with documents to establish identity and employment authorization. (See a list of acceptable documents on page 2 of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.) All documents must be unexpired.  The Human Resources Office also requires a copy of your social security card to be on file for payroll verification.

Contact the Payroll office (256-216-3307) for assistance or questions about your Federal and State tax forms.

*If you do not have your Social Security card, you may request a copy. At the time of the request, a receipt of the request will be provided to you that indicates your name and social security number. Bring that letter with you to our office. After you receive your card, you will need to bring it to our office so we can make a copy for your personnel file.

The following forms must be completed and returned before your first day of employment:

  • Student Worker Agreement (supplied by Career Services)

Paychecks can be directly deposited to your bank (preferred) or picked up at the Business Office window in Founders Hall on the last working day of each month.

For questions or assistance, contact:
Development Office 256-233-8142 or email
Human Resources Office 256-216-3333 or email
Regular Office hours:  Monday-Friday, 8:00-4:30