The Mathematical, Computer, and Natural Sciences (MCNS) Learning Lab seeks to successfully reinforce mathematics, computer science, and biological concepts taught in Athens State University mathematics, computer science, and selected biology classes so that students’ confidence in their logical and scientific abilities are realized and their competency elevated.
The Mathematical, Computer, and Natural Sciences (MCNS) Learning Lab operates during the day and some evenings to accommodate the diverse population of the university.
Students needing help with math, science, or computer science can access tutors by clicking this link to schedule an in-person or online tutor session. Students can also schedule a session by sending an e-mail to email@example.com to access tutors in the short term. Tutors should reply within a day to the e-mail request if submitted on Monday through Thursday, or if submitted on the weekend tutors should reply by the end of the day on Monday, if not interrupted by a holiday or school day off. You may contact the Lab directly by dialing 256-233-6547.
Fall 2023 Hours of Operation
Monday, August 21 through Thursday, November 30
Exceptions: Monday, September 4; week of November 19; Severe or Winter Weather Interruptions
|Monday||10 am – 9 pm|
|Tuesday||10 am – 2 pm & 6 pm – 9 pm|
|Wednesday||10 am – 6 pm|
|Thursday||10 am – 1 pm & 4 pm – 9 pm|
|Friday||10 am – 2 pm|
Location: In-person tutoring in Waters S-202 and Tutoring via Zoom
All students enrolled in Athens State mathematics, computer science, information technology, and selected biology and chemistry courses.
The Mathematical, Computer and Natural Sciences (MCNS) Learning Lab employees facilitate this by:
- offering individual or small-group tutorials
- providing access to technology, such as computers with mathematics software and Internet access, DVD’s or other audio-video systems of supplemental instruction
- providing access to reference materials.
The MCNS Learning Lab is directed by Dr. Ronnie Merritt and tutoring is provided by Mathematics, Mathematics Education, Computer Science, and Biology majors.
The following benefits are available at the MCNS Learning Lab:
- A limited number of computers with Internet connection for research and work
- A pleasant environment conducive to studying mathematics (feel free to drop by to do your math homework or computer programming assignments even if you have no specific questions or no need for tutoring)
- A comprehensive library of support texts and workbooks for mathematics and computer science
- DVD’s are available for the following subjects:
- MA 301-302: Precalculus Algebra and Trigonometry
- MA 303-305: Calculus I, II, III
- MA 309: Business Calculus
- MA 314: College Geometry
- MA 331: Applied Probability and Statistics
- Evening hours are generally available Monday through Thursday, but exceptions occur depending upon staff availability.
- Tutorial assistance is available by phone or electronically by e-mail