Undergraduate – F-1 Visa Application Process

If you are a prospective student, interested in studying in the U.S. while on an F-1 Visa, or student visa, please read this section carefully.

F-1-Visa students are limited to a few undergraduate programs here at Athens State University.  We are also an upper-division institution, which means that we only offer junior and senior-level courses. You will need to meet the following qualifications to be admitted into one of our Undergraduate programs.

  1. We are an upper-division institution, which means you must have at least 36 credit hours of university-level courses before you can apply as a degree-seeking student for an undergraduate program. Additionally, you must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, and you must submit all official transcripts or international evaluations. 
  2. If you have attended a college or university outside of the United States, then we must have official course-by-course evaluations of those transcripts from one of the following companies..
  3. If you are applying for an undergraduate degree, you will also need at least 15 credit hours of domestic general education coursework. For questions about this, email admissions at admissions@athens.edu or make an appointment with an admissions advisor.
  4. Students must provide proof of English proficiency from either TOEFL, Duolingo Scores, or transcripts from previous domestic courses.

SOPHIA courses may be eligible for domestic general education courses.

If you have questions about courses, please make an appointment with admissions.

F-1-Visa Paperwork

If you are admitted as an F-1-Visa student, then please be prepared to provide the following information.

Athens State University
Check List for F-1 Student Admissions
PDSO: carolyn.carthen@athens.edu or 256-233-8271

_____ Minimum 36 earned transferable semester hours from regionally accredited institution(s) prior to term of admission; and Minimum 2.0 cumulative transfer GPA on a 4.0 scale; and Minimum 15 hours applicable to general education requirements; and eligible to return to previously attended colleges or universities. Or the equivalent in a course-by-course evaluation of foreign educational credentials by an evaluation agency that is a member of National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) for any college credit taken outside the U.S.
 _____ Receive a “C” or better in English I & II
_____ Official copies of transcripts from each college/university attended in the United States
_____ Official evaluation of transcripts from an agency that is a member of NACES for any university/college credit taken outside the United States
_____ Proof of health and life insurance while in the U.S.
_____ Letter from a banking institution on financial status
_____ Affidavit of Support Form
_____ Copy of VISA
_____ Application for Admission and paid application fee
_____ Copy of I-94 (front and back)
_____ Current I-20
_____ Transfer Clearance Form (For students transferring institutions within the U.S.A)